Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Trapped Under Ice


We're here safe and sound in Smoky Hollow, but we're probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

There are obvious advantages to living in an area like this. We live down a long tree-lined lane, totally surrounded by woods, and it's such a beautiful place to be. But sometimes you pay the price.

This morning we awoke to find everything -- everywhere -- completely covered with ice. Go outside and you could hear limbs popping and crashing out in the woods.

Our driveway was blocked, as you can see in the picture above (Click on the pic and view it full size, it's really amazing), by trees that just couldn't bear the weight of all that ice. I got the chainsaw out and went to work.

I spent the whole time as I was cutting those limbs worrying about the trees over my head. Would one of those limbs come crashing down on my head?

Then, just before noon, the power went out. We waited a little while, hoping the lights would come back on, but they didn't. So we packed up and went to Albia to my grandparents' house. They didn't lose their electricity, but their phones, cable and internet service was out all day.

I drove back out here just after 4 p.m. and found that the power was back. So I went back to the grandparents' and loaded everybody back up and we came home. We're here safe and warm, and not planning to go anywhere anytime soon...unless the power goes out again.

1 comment:

Brian S said...

This picture truly is amazing. I can't help but revel at the beauty of winter, yet understand how deadly it can be. Oh, and you were right, your lane looks worse than I had thought it would.