Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Rockstar: Supernova

I don't know why I get drawn into these silly TV shows.

But I did. I didn't start watching until about halfway through the season, but I gotta say I have really enjoyed Rockstar: Supernova. The show is actually in its second season, hosted by former Jane's Addiction guitar hero Dave Navarro. Last year the featured band was INXS, but I didn't watch it.

On the surface, this show sounds to me like it would be really lame. I'm sure some of my friends will make fun of me for watching it. But it's actually turned out to be very entertaining. Supernova is a newly-formed supergroup featuring Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Gilbey Clark (Guns N' Roses) and Jason Newsted (Flotsam & Jetsam, Metallica, Voivod). The contestants have to battle it out by performing rock cover tunes and some originals. It's like American Idol but the winner gets to be the lead singer of Supernova. You get the idea.

There have been some really good and really, really bad contestants, but it's actually been a lot of fun to watch.

So anyway, the final performances were tonight, with the winner being named tomorrow. My wife really likes Lukas. I can't decide if I want to vote for Lukas or Toby.

Once they have their new lead singer, Supernova is going on tour with a road show that promises to be a lot of fun. They will be coming to Des Moines at Wells Fargo Arena in February.

No comments: