Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Potato Salad...for the masses

So I made this potato salad for the Fourth of July. It was a really big hit. We had about 25 people show up, and they ate it all right down to the last morsel.

I got the recipe from a cookbook printed by my grandparents' church. The recipe was submitted by Cheryl Chambers.

So anyway, it was such a success, I'm making the potato salad for my brother's wedding reception this weekend. The only problem is I need to multiply the whole thing to feed a huge crowd of people. Here's what I came up with...

Potato Salad for the Masses

25 pounds of russet potatoes (I'll be using 20 pounds of potatoes I harvested from my garden, plus five pounds from our friendly Hy-Vee)
4 dozen eggs
3 white onions, diced (also harvested from my garden)
3 cups pickle relish (nothing fancy is necessary)
2 quarts + 1 cup mayonnaise (absolutely, positively NO Miracle Whip, only Hellman's REAL Mayonnaise here)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (pardon me, would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?)
4 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper

Gotta hard-boil the eggs first, then get them refrigerated. Then boil the potatoes, don't peel 'em. Refrigerate the potatoes until they're cold. Get the shells off the eggs, then chop 'em up along with the taters and then the onions.

Everything else gets mixed up for the dressing, then poured onto the potatoes, eggs and onions. Refrigerate, but do not freeze.

I hope it works! I may need to make some minor adjustments, but I think it should be good. I start boiling eggs tomorrow.

No comments: