Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mark Warner in Des Moines


I went to the Michael Mauro campaign event today in Des Moines. The event featured special guest, former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner.

I saw lots of familiar faces in the crowded room. I introduced myself to several people and said hello to some friends. It's awesome to see so many people so excited about this year's election and the 2008 presidential season.

Mauro is going to be a great Iowa Secretary of State. He was really in his element today, as he talked about making voting more accessible to the public. He's got a ton of experience in the election process as Polk County Auditor, and he'll be ready to run the SOS office on Day One.

Now, I'll just say it flat out: After today, Mark Warner is now one of my clear favorites out of all of the possible 2008 presidential candidates. I really dig what he's saying. Warner is a very engaging speaker, funny, articulate and sincere. He has a great story, and he has a great record of executive leadership.

Chris Woods at Political Forecast is bugged by some of the things Warner has said, but I have to respectfully disagree. Warner understands the frustration that many Democrats are feeling about our somewhat fractured party. I won't dwell on this subject, but I do know how I feel personally and I know I like what Warner said about it.

Anyway, I am going to be paying very close attention to Mark Warner in the 2008 campaign.

No comments: