Monday, June 12, 2006

John Edwards visits Iowa City with Chet Culver


I just got home from Iowa City, where I attended a rally with our gubernatorial candidate, Chet Culver. The special guest at the event was John Edwards, who is truly an inspiring speaker. He also has some very, very strong supporters all over the state and he'll be a heavyweight in the 2008 caucuses.

At the event today there were a whole bunch of Johnson County officials in attendance, as well as Congressional candidate Dave Loebsack. Loebsack is running for the seat held by Rep. Jim Leach, and I think he's going to give Leach a very serious challenge.

The food at the event was fantastic. Some of the best barbecued pork I've had in a long time. Tasty sauerkraut made for a delicious side dish.

I had the honor of meeting one of Iowa's most distinguished political bloggers, John Deeth. I gotta get myself a laptop like he has.

The event was held at the Larew law office, which is located about a block from where I used to live. For a considerable amount of the time I lived in Iowa City during the 90's, I lived with six other dudes at 332 North Van Buren, in a house that was famously dubbed "The Metal House." The place got the name because we were all fans of heavy music and several of us were in local bands that played at Gabe's and other local venues.

Just walking up the street to the event brought back a million memories. I used to walk on those sidewalks almost every day. The neighborhood hasn't changed much, which is a good thing.

No comments: