Thursday, June 29, 2006

Broccoli and baby carrots

Well, we harvested our first broccoli, carrots and some cabbage from the garden tonight. The broccoli is just a small little bunch, but the plants are promising a lot more.

The cabbage and baby carrots will soon be transformed into cole slaw for this weekend.

As for the rest of the garden, it survived a brief hailstorm earlier this week. No damage, but I was worried. The hailstones were almost dime-sized.

The corn is looking kinda weird. Some of it looks great, but some of it is stunted. I don't know why. The tomatoes are looking good. There are several small green tomatoes on some of the plants. The pepper plants aren't growing very tall, but I still think they'll rebound if we get some more nice rain. The squash and cucumbers are really doing well. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of a really cool double-squash.

In other news, I received a nice note from Sam Garchik, the editor of Blog for Iowa. Apparently he knows my brother Joe, he went to school with Joe at the University of Iowa. So I've added Blog for Iowa to my recommended reading list.

I've spent most of the last week or so avoiding political blogs. Just needed a break from it. And I have friends coming from far away this weekend to visit, so I've been busy preparing for their arrival.

No comments: